Annual updates are posted here for general viewing.
Accomplishments 2016 here
Accomplishments 2015 here
Accomplishments 2014 here
Accomplishments 2013 here
Accomplishments 2012 here
Accomplishments 2011 here
Accomplishments 2010 here
Accomplishments since our inception 2003 - 2009 here
Our 2012 year Annual General Meeting on November 20th was, once again, a packed room with over 100 industry companies present. Our Guest Speaker was the Honourable Dwight Duncan, Deputy Premier and Finance Minister for Ontario. Our long-standing partnership style was evident in the introduction from co-Chair Brian Topp, and the Minister's speech. A thoughtful, balanced approach has produced the highest production volumes in Ontario's history, and the highest domestic/co-production volumes in our history as well!
We are now #1 in Canada and #3 in North America, behind LA and NY.
Our 2011 year Annual General Meeting on November 26, 2011 was once again a packed room at the Four Seasons Yorkville. Guest Speakers included the Honourable Dwight Duncan, Ontario Minister of Finance, reiterating the government's commitment to strong and stable tax credits for screen-based industries, and industry leaders Jay Switzer, Chair, Hollywood Suite, and Jason Ropel, VP Content Acquisition, Netflix.
Our 2011 (for 2010 year) Annual General Meeting on January 20, 2011, was a packed room! Guest Speaker was the Honourable Dwight Duncan, Ontario Minister of Finance, who gave a warm speech, reflecting our productive partnership. The event was hosted by FilmOntario member company, the Four Seasons Yorkville.
Our 2010 Annual General Meeting on January 19, 2010, was a resounding success. Our Guest Speaker was Premier Dalton McGuinty who spoke of the partnership approach that we take with the Government of Ontario. The event was hosted by FilmOntario member company, the Four Seasons Yorkville.
Tax Credit Competitiveness
- FilmOntario helped faciliate the expansion of the Production Services Tax Credit to incorporate "all spend" incurred in Ontario. This benefits both service and domestic productions.
Read the announcement.
- FilmOntario worked closely with the Ministry of Finance to improve our competitiveness and remove any sunset clauses from our tax credits. Read the announcement here.
Driving Canada's Digital Economy Strategy Through Content
- In December 2009, FilmOntario called for a digital Canada strategy through content, and completed discussion paper English / French which was widely circulated, and informed discussions at the political, academic and business levels.
- In May 2010, the Federal government called for consultation on Canada's digital economy strategy, and included content development and management as a key aspect of success. See our submission here
Screen-based Intellectual Property Development Fund
FilmOntario worked closely with the Ministry of Finance and the Ontario Media Development Fund (OMDC) to develop and secure this new program for all Ontario screen-based content creators - film, television, interactive, games, etc. Read our letter here.
- This program has launched as a pilot for 2009/2010; we are continuing our work to see it move into a permanent tax credit.
June 24, 2009: Letter and report from the co-Chairs of FilmOntario to the Ontario screen-based community Read the report.
January 15,2008: Letter and report from the co-Chairs of FilmOntario to the Ontario screen-based community Read the report.
FilmOntario Accomplishments since our inception in 2003 - 2009 here